Monday, April 13, 2009

Rock Stars and Science


Okay, so I'm nong to lie here. 

I definitely fell asleep during the Ted Talks Large Hadron Collider video. I know, shun me, burn me at the stake, do whatever you like. I deserve it (kind of). And the really sad part is, is that I don't mean that I got bored and zoned out, I mean I literally fell asleep. Full out, head on my computer desk, lights still on,  mom walking in at about 1 in the morning asking 'what the heck happened to you?' The answer? Physics, Mom. Physics happened to me.


But give me a little credit! I stuck it out until Brian Cox (aka the rock star physicist) started talking about quarks and then I got a Star Trek flashback and I was done. I mean really, asking someone like me to understand particle physics is like asking an ant to re-create the Mona Lisa. That is to say, that IF it happens (and that is a VERY big 'if'), it's going to take that ant a very long time. It's like CJ says: 'I'm CJ, and I play X-box.' Well, when it comes to complicated science-type stuff like this 'I'm Chloe, and I get all of my science related knowledge from a little show called The Big Bang Theory.' 'Nuff said. But seriously, if you're a geek in any sense (comic book geek, science geek, etc etc) you are going to find this show hilarious. I usually cry I laugh so hard. These guys reference everything from Lord of the Rings to Superman to Physics and scientific theories to Battlestar Galactica and back again. The only reason why I know what I know about science is because of a few way to smart people I hang out with...and a television show. How sad.

ANYWAYS I knew about the LHC long before watching the TED video, because f the aforementioned  nerds I hang out with who went bonkers the day they first tested it. Thanks to them, and for the portion of the video that I was conscious for, this is the bare bones knowledge that I now have:
The LHC is the worlds largest science experiment. It is a particle accelerator who's goal is to smash together two particles traveling at very fast speeds together, in an attempt to re-create the exact moment of the Big Bang. Right now, we're really close to the exact time, about 10 billionths of a second after the Big Bang. Which is pretty damn impressive.

So that's all I know when it comes to particle physics. Its not much, I know, but it's all I've got so far. And hey, it helps me sleep at night knowing that behind this small, cynical blogger is someone who can at least pretend that they know what they're talking about if ever asked about 'all this LHC business'. Go team Chloe. Oh, and since I mentioned Star Trek earlier.......
Live Long and Prosper, my friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment